Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Mardi Gras

I made a special dinner for Mardi Gras. Andouille-Stuffed Pork Tenderloin deserves another look. The flavors were great, but I was not able to complete the recipe as described. I wound up having to split the tenderlion and stack the stuffing mixture on top of it. I think I am either going to use my sausage stuffer next time, or make the "stuffing" into "dressing" and serve it on the side. Still a capital idea! I might grill a pork tenderloin that I've shoved an andouille stick into over the summer.

I also had Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Pears. I halved this recipe and still had generous left overs. Next time I think I'll whip the potatoes with cream or evaporated milk and spices, add a little salt, and then top with candied pecan halves. I personally did not find a big benefit from the pears and orange juice.

My favorite part of the whole meal was my first crack at smothered greens.



Here's how I did it:

2 smoked pork knuckles
2 lbs collard greens, stems removed, sliced
1 chopped onion
2 quarts chicken stock
2 bay leaves
2 t sugar
red pepper flakes to taste
ground red pepper to taste

Put everything but the greens in a stock pot and simmer for about 30 minutes. Then add the greens and simmer until they're tender.

0 comments: