Monday, March 23, 2009

Hawks

I had a good dog walk this morning. I saw a small hawk on a neighbor's roof, watched it fly into a tree in their back yard, and I think it may actually be nesting there. From what I can tell, it is a Cooper's Hawk. It was a small hawk with definite banding on the tail, but I don't think it had the hooded head that a Peregrine Falcon would have.

I noticed these birds in the neighborhood last summer, but they were always flying pretty high, so I never got a good look at them before. I'm going to keep an eye out on that area now, and I'm going to try to get a picture if it really is hanging out in their backyard oak tree.

About half a block later, I saw a Red-Tailed Hawk swooping along the treeline. This made for great size comparison.

We also have owls on down the street. I haven't seen them yet this year, but we heard them often last summer.

It is amazing, with all of these birds of prey in the immediate area, that the squirrels still managed to destroy my corn plot last year.

0 comments: