Friday, March 13, 2009

Monkey bread



I ran into this browsing Southern Plate the other day, and I knew I had to make it.

Mmmm!
Monkey Bread
2 large cans layer biscuits (or 3 small cans)
1 c sugar
1 1/2 T cinnamon
1 stick butter, melted

Mix cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl. Cut biscuits into quarters. Roll each piece into a ball. Put each ball into cinnamon sugar mixture and toss until well coated. Place coated dough into bundt pan. Pour butter over the dough after it is all in the bundt pan. Bake at 350 for thirty minutes, let cool and turn over onto serving dish.

This is probably the "healthy" version, but something important from my Girl Scout days was missing. Mom says to add 1 cup of packed brown sugar as you are melting butter to pour over the top and let it boil for a minute. This makes the gooey yummy great sticky topping I was missing.

Alton Brown has a more upscale version if canned biscuits are too much.

0 comments: