Thursday, April 2, 2009

Garden update

The marigolds (Crackerjack mixed colors) were probably planted too soon. They really need potting up, but I'm not going to do it. The snapdragons (First Ladies mixed colors) were probably put in at just the right time. They are very slow growers.



The cauliflower (Snowball X) looks great outside. It is doing better than the broccoli that was planted out a week earlier.



I also have some potato rosettes coming up now.



My lettuce (Salad bowl) only had a 50% germination rate inside. I did get the six plants I needed to put outside this week, but they were from three cells and had to be separated instead of thinned. I will see what happens, but I already have my eye on some very nice looking Black Seeded Simpson plants at El-Mel.

My Swiss Chard (Neon Lights) did even worse. I've only gotten 17% germination on them, and they've been in the seed tray since March 7th. They're scheduled to go in the ground Saturday, so I know I'll be purchasing plants elsewhere. I've only seen regular white stemmed chard so far, but maybe I'll be lucky and find some colored stem variety at Parkview Gardens.

0 comments: