Sunday, April 19, 2009

What's in the fridge?

Schlitz.



Yes, it is.

I have a very specific memory of Schlitz Beer. It was the first beer I ever had. Our neighbor, Carl, had an orange fiberglass boat. There was an empty lot between our houses. There were three huge lilac bushes with snowball bushes growing in front of them. I used to catch fireflies in the yard on summer evenings, while the guys (my Dad & Carl) hung out in the garage. There was an old piano out there, painted with pink outdoor paint. It smelled like tools. The garage door was one of those corrugated fiberglass ones, in green.

I always made fun of them, as kids do, mocking that they "always" drank beer. So they offered me a sip. I didn't like it, but I do remember it tasted like bread.

The Schlitz I had this evening took me right back to that sweaty summer yard.

0 comments: