Saturday, November 14, 2009

We're having Elk for Christmas!



We went up the ridge behind the cabin this morning. Dennis and I sat together right on the canyon edge. It is a long way down to the Conejos River. We can also see across the canyon to the Ruybalid Trail and the approximate area where the base camp is. We stayed there in tents in 2007. I'm glad we're not camping for this trip.



Dennis and Kelly both thought they saw some movement in a clump of trees by Los Flores Lake, but it was too far out for either of them to even confirm if it was an elk or not.


View Larger Map

We rode back down to the cabin. Sam and Dad came in right after us, and we heard that Dad had shot an elk!



I let myself get pretty cold, so I stayed at the cabin and did dishes while everyone else went back out for the afternoon. The area they were hunting was pretty much the same place Dennis and I went on Thursday. There were elk prints all over the places I was staring at on that windy day, and it was right down the ridge from where Dad shot his elk. We were definitely looking in the right places.

0 comments: