Friday, April 10, 2009

Dickey's BBQ Pit

Dennis only had to work half of the day today. That means he got off work at 10:00 AM. He drove back to take me out for lunch.

We had Dickey's BBQ Pit. I saw no evidence of said pit.

He got brisket, beans & okra. You'd think a chain out of Texas would have a handle on brisket. The bite I had tasted much more like pot roast. The okra was clearly the frozen variety, but it was clean tasting and good. The beans were more Texas style than we're used to, with thin sauce and jalapenos instead of brown sugar. He was really into them, while I prefer mine the other way.

I got pulled pork & slaw, 'natch. The slaw was obviously not made in house. It was the creamy kind though! Pulled pork was better than the brisket. When you put it together with the "sweet" sauce (which seemed to be the "regular" with more sugar & vinegar) it made a passable BBQ sandwich. See what I do with "Texas style"??? Their "hot" sauce was the best. It had enough red pepper flakes to actually pack some heat.

We both finished with an ice cream cone. The mix hadn't been in quite long enough, so it was very soft serve. Dennis put on quite a show getting ice cream into his beard and mustache.

Our tab was just under $17. With Miss Piggies so close to work, it is hard to justify going back if I have an intense BBQ craving, but I won't put it on the list of places to avoid at all costs either. I'd go back if invited, but probably won't choose it if left to my own devices.

0 comments: