Sunday, July 12, 2009

Watermelon Sorbet



I really can't stop.

Neither Dennis nor I are crazy for watermelon. We both like the flavor of fresh watermelon not fake, but neither of us think the taste is worth enduring the texture.

I put this watermelon through my Magic Bullet juicer*, since my blender carafe split open last week, so there is no pulpy, icky stuff in this sorbet.

It doesn't have any mouth feel to speak of, it just melts into a cool burst of watermelon flavor on your tongue. Cool!

Adapted from The Perfect Scoop
3 c watermelon juice
1/2 c sugar
pinch Kosher salt
juice of 1 small lime
splash of vodka

Bring 1/2 c watermelon juice sugar and salt to a boil. Combine with the remainder of the ingredients and chill thoroughly.

Churn per ice cream machine's manufacturer's instructions.

I did not measure the vodka, but it appears to help keep this sorbet scoopable. I did not have problems with this freezing into a solid mass. This would be a really good place to use some type of mint flavored spirit. I also brought my syrup mixture to a full boil to thicken rather than just dissolve the sugar. I think this may have contributed to the fine texture as well.

*The Magic Bullet Juicer appears to work just fine. Who knew? I'm glad we didn't regift it!

0 comments: