Wednesday, February 24, 2010

2010 Garden Plan

I think I'm going to replant last year's garden plan this year.

We're going to move the beds down the hill and level them soon. I'll test the ground in the backyard. Only the top layer needs to soften up, so we might be able to get this done this Sunday. It is supposed to be over 40 in the afternoon.

I am going to have to put down some kind of weed barrier this year. Crabgrass got into the beds last year, probably from our lawn trimmings in the compost. I think I can just staple 4' x 4' sheets of black weed fabric over the tops of the beds.

I'll have to refill them to the top to make this work to its best advantage.

I am also going to have to build the fence before I start planting. I think I can make something that will work out of the chicken wire we bought last year. I need to keep squirrels out immediately, rabbits once I put in plants, and birds once there is visible fruit. You'd think they'd get their fill from the neighbor's St. Francis statue garden.

I still really want to see this happen in real life.


I don't really feel like starting any seeds indoors this spring. I'll have to review and revise based on what is available in the garden centers later.

0 comments: